Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
These are great to serve at get togethers, if you are an onion-lover, you will LOVE this! You can always increase the onions and butter if desired and also the cheese amount.
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 5 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- salt and black pepper
- 8 slices mozzarella cheese (or provolove or any similar cheese)
- 1 round focaccia bread (cut in half)
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (or to taste)
- Melt butter with the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add in onions and sugar; cook for about 20 minutes or until caramelized and light brown.
- Season with salt and pepper; remove from heat.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter each half of the focaccia with 1 tablesoon butter then sprinkle lightly with garlic powder.
- Place half of the cheese (4 slices) on the bottom half of the bread.
- Top with onions and then the remaining cheese slices.
- Top with remaining focaccia half.
- Wrap tightly in foil.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Cool about 5-6 minutes.
- Cut into 8 wedges.
YUM!!! I used provolone and added a few sliced black olives. I love the taste of olive oil, so used 4 Tblsp butter and 3 Tblsp extra virgin olive oil. It was absolutely wonderful. Thanks for another great recipe - you haven't failed me yet!