Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄8 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- crackers or chips
- Saute onion in butter and oil until caramelized (golden brown), about 20 minutes.
- Cool and combine the remaining ingredients.
- Mix well and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Serve with crackers or chips.
Loved it! And I'm not really much of a dip person.
I served this with crackers. If you plan on serving with chips, I would chop the onion instead of slicing. Also, make sure you use a whole large red onion. At first I made the mistake of only using 2/3 and the mayonnaise taste was too strong. I would also suggest letting the dip sit overnight. The flavors were much stronger. Although we enjoyed it, I don't know that I would make it again because hubby didn't love it.