Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This dip also tastes terrific on a hamburger!
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature (buy the box, not the tub)
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- Cut onion in half and slice thinly.
- Heat butter in large frying pan over medium heat.
- Add onion, cayenne, salt and pepper and saute for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium low and cook, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes more, until onions are browned and caramelized.
- Beat cheese, sour cream and mayonnaise until smooth.
- Add onions and mix well.
- Serve with pototo chips,veggies or crackers.
This one was worth the standing over the hot stove. I will delete the oil next time and only use the butter; the finished product was oily. My picky sons gave this a "Thumbs Up, mom". It was better on the second day (of what was left". So make it ahead of time and give the flavors a chance to blend.
This was a good recipe but had to cut out the oil, 1/4 cup of butter was enough. DH said there was a little to much pepper so next time I'll try 1/4 ts of black pepper. Thanks for a good recipe that will be made often. Made for Spring PAC 2008.