14 hrs 45 mins
Chef Kate's Note:
This is a dressed up version -- no onion soup mix here. From Erin Bailey of La Pomme de Pin by way of the Chicago Tribune. Needs a good twelve hours in the fridge for the flavors to ripen and then it should be brought to room temperature before serving (thus the long prep time).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat the oil and butter in a large skillet. Add the onions, 1/2 teaspoons of the salt and pepper to taste; cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are caramelized, 20-30 minutes.
- 2Add the balsamic vinegar, stirring up browned bits from the bottom of the skillet.
- 3Combine the onions with the goat cheese, creme fraiche, thyme, the remaining 1/2 teaspoons of the salt and pepper to taste in a medium bowl.
- 4Stir, allowing the warm onions to help melt the goat cheese.
- 5Cover; refrigerate at least 2 but preferably 12 hours.
- 6Let stand before serving to slightly soften and take the chill off.
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caramelized Onion Dip
Serving Size: 1 (23 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 32
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 38.4
- Calories from Fat 31
- Total Fat 3.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 11.1 mg
- Sodium 75.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 0.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: