Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a dressed up version -- no onion soup mix here. From Erin Bailey of La Pomme de Pin by way of the Chicago Tribune. Needs a good twelve hours in the fridge for the flavors to ripen and then it should be brought to room temperature before serving (thus the long prep time).
- Heat the oil and butter in a large skillet. Add the onions, 1/2 teaspoons of the salt and pepper to taste; cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are caramelized, 20-30 minutes.
- Add the balsamic vinegar, stirring up browned bits from the bottom of the skillet.
- Combine the onions with the goat cheese, creme fraiche, thyme, the remaining 1/2 teaspoons of the salt and pepper to taste in a medium bowl.
- Stir, allowing the warm onions to help melt the goat cheese.
- Cover; refrigerate at least 2 but preferably 12 hours.
- Let stand before serving to slightly soften and take the chill off.