1/2 Photos of Caramelized Onion Dip
My mom made this at a dinner party she had when dh and I went home recently. She served it with homemade chips made of toasted foccia bread. This has a bit more zip than the traditional onion soup mix dips without having to use the mix!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large yellow onions
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temp
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1Cut onion in half and slice thinly (I use food processor).
- 2Heat oil and butter in large frying pan over medium heat.
- 3Add onion, cayenne, salt & pepper and saute for 10 minutes.
- 4Reduce heat to medium low and cook, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes more, until onions are browned and caramelized.
- 6Beat cheese, sour cream and mayonnaise until smooth.
- 7Add onions and mix well.
- 8Serve immediately or chill for a couple hours prior to serving.
- 9Serve with potato chips, crackers or toasted bread below.
- 10Bread preparation:.
- 11Preheat oven to 300-325 degrees.
- 12Thinly slice a loaf of Foccia bread.
- 13Brush bread slices with olive oil.
- 14Sprinkle optional parmesan cheese on top.
- 15Place on cookie sheet and Bake for 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 16Cool and break apart to large sized chip pieces.
- 17Serve with a knife to spread the dip in case the dip is chilled.
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caramelized Onion Dip
Serving Size: 1 (76 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 224.6
- Calories from Fat 186
- Total Fat 20.6 g
- Saturated Fat 8.3 g
- Cholesterol 34.4 mg
- Sodium 485.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 2.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: