Recipe by Cathy17
My mom made this at a dinner party she had when dh and I went home recently. She served it with homemade chips made of toasted foccia bread. This has a bit more zip than the traditional onion soup mix dips without having to use the mix!
- 2 large yellow onions
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temp
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 5 -7 slices focaccia bread, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut onion in half and slice thinly (I use food processor).
- Heat oil and butter in large frying pan over medium heat.
- Add onion, cayenne, salt & pepper and saute for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium low and cook, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes more, until onions are browned and caramelized.
- Beat cheese, sour cream and mayonnaise until smooth.
- Add onions and mix well.
- Serve immediately or chill for a couple hours prior to serving.
- Serve with potato chips, crackers or toasted bread below.
- Bread preparation:.
- Preheat oven to 300-325 degrees.
- Thinly slice a loaf of Foccia bread.
- Brush bread slices with olive oil.
- Sprinkle optional parmesan cheese on top.
- Place on cookie sheet and Bake for 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool and break apart to large sized chip pieces.
- Serve with a knife to spread the dip in case the dip is chilled.