Recipe by Elly in Canada
Onion soup with a difference! A wonderful recipe taken from Inn On The Twenty Cookbook by Michael and Anna Olson. Great to serve at a dinner party.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 large onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine
- 4 cups chicken stock, preferably brown stock
- 1 yukon gold potato, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream (35%)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In large saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat and add onions.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir onions until they soften and begin to carmelize, this will take 20-30 minutes.
- Add garlic and 1/3 of the wine, continue stirring until wine is absorbed, this will deglaze the pan and onions will brown.
- Add remaining wine 1/3 at a time following above procedure until it is absorbed.
- Add sherry, stock, potato and fresh herbs.
- Bring to a simmer and cook until potato is tender.
- Remove from heat, carefully puree using hand blender.
- If you prefer a very smooth soup, strain mixture.
- Return soup to heat, add cream and season to taste.
- Bring to simmer before serving, do NOT allow soup to boil.
- Serve and enjoy!