- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 15 onions, peeled,thinly sliced (about 5 pounds)
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the olive oil and butter in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat.
- When the butter foams, add half of the sliced onions and 2 of the bay leaves.
- Sprinkle with half of the sugar and half of the salt.
- Add remaining onions, bay leaves, sugar and salt.
- Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook for 20 minutes.
- Uncover, stir, and increase heat to medium.
- Cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Increase heat to high and cook, stirring constantly, until the onions are a deep golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add the wine and stir, scraping bottom of pan to dislodge any browned bits.
- Cook for 4 or 5 minutes longer.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.