Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Sweet caramelized onion and three different cheeses make up the topping for this yummy pizza. Feel free to add more cheese if you love it as much as I do!
- Place olive oil in large skillet and add thinly sliced onion, cook over low heat until onions are caramelized and golden browned, about 20 minutes.
- While the onion cooks preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place cooked onions on pizza crust and sprinkle with seasoning. Sprinkle crust with goat cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, and Parmesan cheese.
- Place pizza in hot oven and bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until cheese melts and the crust is crisp.
- Remove from oven and cut into wedges.
I used a whole wheat pita pocket round for the crust, and it was really good! I had it for lunch and plan to make it again using feta cheese in place of the goat cheese next time.
This recipe reminded me of a foccacia bread recipe I made some time ago. It would therefore be a nice accompaniment to an Italian dish, but not as a meal in itself. Perhaps I like more traditional pizza recipes, with red pizza sauce,etc.? At any rate, it was good, just not phenomenal. I did, however, prepare the crust using Whole Wheat Pizza Crust for the Bread Machine from this site, and I give the crust a 5-star rating.
Wow, this is a winner! Prepared as directed by the recipe, but used a flour tortilla for the crust. I had the tortillas on hand because DH has had bariatric surgery and cannot eat breads or doughy foods. The flour tortilla worked perfectly for him, however it is not firm enough to just pick up and eat without folding over. This was not a problem and the flavor was delicious! It may work if the tortilla was browned and crisped up before putting the toppings on and then baking till the cheese is melted. That's an idea for next time! I am considering cutting back on some of the cheese and increasing the onions, just because I LOVE carmelized onions! Wonderful recipe! Thanks Asha!