1/7 Photos of Caramelized Onion Buns
1 hr 15 mins
From the Toronto Star. I haven't made these yet but they sound amazing! Let me know what you think.
My Private Note
large b ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 7 1/4 cups bread flour (preferably unbleached)
- 1 3/4 cups warm water
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 small onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1For dough, put yeast, sugar, salt, 3 cups flour, water, eggs and butter in mixing bowl.
- 2Beat on high for 3 to 5 minutes, until very smooth.
- 3Using a wooden spoon, stir in 3 cups flour.
- 4Add flour 1/2 cup at a time until dough becomes too stiff to stir.
- 5Turn out onto work surface and continue to add remaining flour, kneading, until dough is smooth, 7 to 10 minutes.
- 6(Use last 1/4 cup flour only if needed to prevent sticking.) Grease large bowl.
- 7Add dough, turning to coat.
- 8Cover and leave in warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 1/2 hours.
- 9For onions, melt butter in skillet over low heat.
- 10Add onions, garlic, salt and pepper.
- 11Cover and cook, stirring often, 10 to 12 minutes or until very soft.
- 12Sprinkle in sugar.
- 13Increase heat to medium-low.
- 14Stir until onions are very brown but not scorched (2-3 minutes).
- 15Add Worcestershire, scrape up browned bits and simmer, stirring until juices evaporate.
- 17To make buns, punch down dough and knead in onions until evenly distributed.
- 18Divide and roll into 10 smooth round buns.
- 19Place on 2 baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- 20Cover and let rest 30 minutes.
- 21For glaze, whisk egg whites with water and brush over each bun.
- 22Bake buns in two batches in the centre of a preheated 375°F oven for 20 to 22 minutes, until golden brown and tops start to sound hollow when tapped.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caramelized Onion Buns
Serving Size: 1 (2031 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 522.6
- Calories from Fat 130
- Total Fat 14.5 g
- Saturated Fat 8.0 g
- Cholesterol 104.9 mg
- Sodium 965.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 83.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 12.7 g
- Protein 13.5 g