Recipe by 12345678980123455677889
Delicious & Impressive Appetizer! The recipe calls for a Smoked Gouda; but you can substitute ant semi-firm, easy melting cheese (Mozzarella, Cheddar, Swiss) You can make these ahead of time and freeze them before baking. Do not thaw before baking...just bake for 25 minutes. These are To-Die-For!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups smoked gouda cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon caraway seed
- 9 sheets phyllo pastry
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- caraway seed, for sprinkling
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt 1 tablespoons butter in a large skillet. Add onions and cook until they are transparent and starting to colour. Add sugar and continue to cook until the onions are brown.
- In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, smoked Gouda, pepper, caraway seeds and onions.
- Place one sheet of phyllo pastry on work surface with long side towards you. Brush with melted butter. Layer with a second sheet of pastry and brush with butter.
- Spoon one third of the filling along the long edge of the pastry closest to you, leaving 1" at the ends.
- Begin to roll the pastry and filling away from you. After rolling once, fold in the sides. Continue to roll up.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients. You will end up with 3 rolls.
- Place rolls seamside down on a baking sheet.
- Brush rolls with melted butter and sprinkle with caraway seeds.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 20 minutes.
- Cool before cutting.