Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
The sweetness in this dip comes from slow-cooked onions, which balances the rich, creamy texture. Recipe is from Ladies Home Journal.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 6 slices thick-sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh thyme leave
- fresh thyme sprig, for garnish
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until golden, about 15 minutes.
- Cover and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, 35-40 minutes.
- Cool slightly, then coarsely chop.
- In medium bowl, stir together cream cheese and sour cream until smooth.
- Reserve 2 T bacon; stir remaining bacon, the onion, vinegar, thyme, salt and pepper into cream cheese mixture.
- Chill at least 30 minutes (can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 2 days).
- Sprinkle with reserved bacon and garnish with thyme sprigs, if desired.