Recipe by Manami
EatingWell Newsletter, October 2007, reissued from Sept?October 1955. The sauteed onions acquire a sweet caramelized flavor in the hot oven; have added a few extras.
- cornmeal, for pan
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cups frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and sliced
- 1 cup sliced red bell pepper, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1 lb pizza dough (store-bought frozen or from local Pizza Shop)
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven rack in lowest position; preheat oven to 500°F (or the highest setting).
- Sprinkle a pizza pan or baking sheet generously with cornmeal; set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add onions & red pepper strips and cook, stirring, until softened and golden, about 10 minutes.
- Add artichoke hearts, rosemary, and a sprinkling of crushed red pepper flakes, (if you choose.)
- Continue to cook, stirring, until the artichokes are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 14-inch circle or a 15-by-10-inch rectangle.
- Transfer the dough to the prepared pan.
- Distribute the onions and artichokes over the dough; add another sprinkling of crushed red pepper flakes(if you choose.).
- Bake the pizza for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the bottom and edges are browned.
- Sprinkle cheese over the top, slice and serve.
- Serve cheese on the side, a salad of baby greens salad with a vinaigrette dressing, a loaf of crusty rustic warm bread slathered with butter and a fruit salad.