1/1 Photo of Caramelized Onion and Roasted Red Pepper Tart
Mmm--what a flavor combo. You can shortcut this by using puff pastry or any other pastry dough, but it will change the nutrition information. Prep time includes both dough risings. Both the onion and pepper mixtures can be prepared a day ahead. From cooking light: CALORIES 192(20% from fat); FAT 4.2g (sat 0.6g,mono 2.6g,poly 0.6g); PROTEIN 5.6g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 32mg; SODIUM 581mg; FIBER 4.1g; IRON 2mg; CARBOHYDRATE 34.3g
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/4 teaspoons dry yeast (1 package)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 3/4 cup warm water (100 to 110)
- 1 1/2 cups bread flour, divided
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- cooking spray
- 2Dissolve yeast and honey in warm water in a large bowl; let stand for 5 minutes.
- 3Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Stir 1 cup bread flour and 1 tablespoon oil into yeast mixture. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°F), free from drafts, 1 1/2 hours or until bubbly.
- 4Stir in 1/2 cup bread flour, whole wheat flour, and 1 teaspoon salt.
- 5Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes); dough will feel tacky. Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, for 1 hour or until doubled in size. (Press two fingers into the dough. If indentation remains, the dough has risen enough.) Punch dough down; cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- 7Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add onion, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in 1 teaspoon salt, thyme sprigs, garlic, and bay leaves; cook for 15 minutes or until deep golden brown, stirring frequently.
- 8Remove from heat. Discard thyme sprigs and bay leaves.
- 9Preheat broiler.
- 10While onion is cooking, cut bell peppers in half lengthwise, discarding seeds and membranes. Place the pepper halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet; flatten with hand. Broil for 15 minutes or until blackened. Place in a zip-top plastic bag, and seal. Let stand for 15 minutes. Peel and coarsely chop.
- 11Preheat oven to 425°F.
- 12Roll the dough into a 12 x 8-inch rectangle. Place the dough on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Top with the onion mixture and the chopped bell pepper. Sprinkle with black pepper. Bake at 425°F for 25 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Cool slightly. Sprinkle with chopped thyme. Cut into 8 squares, and cut each square in half diagonally. Garnish with thyme sprigs, if desired.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caramelized Onion and Roasted Red Pepper Tart
Serving Size: 1 (239 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 202.4
- Calories from Fat 36
- Total Fat 4.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 588.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 8.5 g
- Protein 5.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh thyme sprigs