Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a great side dish. The recipe is from the local newspaper, in the Wednesday food section.
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 4 cups sliced sweet onions (such as Vidalia)
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 2⁄3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup shredded smoked gouda cheese or 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Coat a 10-inch removable-bottom pan (tart pan) with cooking spray.
- In a large nonstick skillet on medium, heat butter or margarine. Add onions and cook 10 minutes; stir in sugar. Continue cooking 8 to 10 more minutes or until onions are browned and caramelized; stir occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine rice, parmesan and eggs. Spread mixture evenly into tart pan. Distribute onion over crust and top with smoked cheese and pecans.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until pecans are toasted.