Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
A simple dish that's full of flavour and colour, and it's so satisfying.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 red peppers, seeded cut lengthways into 1 cm wide strips
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 300 g dry penne pasta
- 50 g fresh basil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- freshly grated parmesan cheese, to serve
- Heat the oil in large pan and cook the peppers over a medium heat for 15 minutes. Add the onion and cook for a further 30 minutes until the peppers and onions are nicely browned. You will need to keep them on a faitly high heat so that the moisture from the vegetables evaporates. Stir from time to time so they don't catch on the bottom and burn and add a splash more oil if they start to stick.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large pan of boiling. Drain the pasta well and return to the pan. Add the pepper mixture and the basil and mix well together.
- Divide between 4 bowls and scatter with freshly grated parmesan.