Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
From Bon Appetit. Serve this delicious soup with Goat Cheese Croutons - recipe included. Sounds absolutely wonderful!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 lbs onions, halved, thinly sliced (about 5 cups)
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 1⁄2 lbs portabella mushrooms, stemmed, caps halved and cut crosswise into 1/4 inch thick strips
- 3 tablespoons cognac (or brandy)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 cups vegetable broth (canned)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 18 slices French baguettes, toasted (1 inch thick slices)
- 8 ounces soft fresh goat cheese, room temperature
- Melt 1 tablespoons butter in heavy large pot over high heat. Add onions and thyme; saute until onions begin to soften, about 8 minutes. Reduce heat to low; cook until onions are caramelized, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes. Transfer onion mixture to medium bowl.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in same pot over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; saute until soft, about 12 minutes. Add Cognac and garlic; stir 20 seconds. Stir in onion mixture, then broth and wine. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer until onions are very tender about 45 minutes. Discard thyme sprigs. Season soup with salt and pepper.
- Preheat broiler. Place baguette slices on large baking sheet. Spread goat cheese on baguette slices, dividing equally. Broil goat cheese croutons until cheese begins to brown in spots, about 30 seconds. Divide soup among 6 bowls. Top with croutons and serve.
I did omit the brandy, but added 3 tablespoons dry wine. The flavors complimented each other very nice, and yes the goat cheese out this over the top. The flavors were perfect. Made for a nice dinner with Chicken Breasts With Porcini Mushrooms
WOW! This is so easy and very delicious, and filling! What put it over the top is the goat cheese. One of the things I dislike about French Onion Soup is sometimes the Swiss cheese gets stringy and glops into a big ball, making it hard to eat. No problem with the goat cheese, plus the flavor really compliments the soup. Will be making this again.