Recipe by SuzieQue
A moist and savory stuffing full of caramelized onions and mushrooms. The only stuffing my family will eat!
- 1 lb buttermilk bread, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 2 large yellow onions, chopped medium
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh white mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup chicken stock or 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 2 eggs, beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spread bread cubes in single layer on a large baking sheet.
- Bake, stirring occasionally about 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Transfer to a large bowl.
- In a large, heavy frying pan, melt the butter over medium high heat.
- When hot, add onions and cook, stirring occasionally until golden brown.
- About 20 minute.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the mushrooms and celery.
- Cook and stir until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add this mixture to the bread cubes along with the parsley and tarragon.
- Add the stock to the pan you used to cook the onions, and bring to a boil scraping up any browned pieces.
- Add hot stock to the bread mixture and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Mix in the eggs.
- Either stuff the turkey and bake as usual or butter a 13X9 pan and spoon stuffing into pan.
- Cover with foil and bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake until top is golden brown, about 30 minutes longer.
- I think this is better baked in a pan by itself than stuffed into the turkey-- but to each his own!