Recipe by Galley Wench
What a taste combination . . . the robust flavor of Gorgonzola and the sweetness of caramelized onions! NOTE: This is a work in progress: Decreased the amount gorgonzola and added mozarella or fontina cheese. Also added roasted garlic.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large vidalia onions, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3⁄4 cup gorgonzola, crumbled (approximately 3 oz.)
- 3⁄4 cup mozzarella cheese or 3⁄4 cup fontina, shredded
- 2 garlic cloves, roasted and minced
- 1⁄4 cup choppsed walnuts (optional)
- 2 prepared pizza crust, 10-inch rounds (see The Art of Making the Perfect Pizza Dough)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large sauté pan,add butter and olive oil over medium heat.
- Sauté onions until the onions are soft and dark brown, approximately 20 minutes.
- Stir in sugar, and continue cooking for 1 or 2 more minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Grease a pizza pan or cookie sheet, and press out the dough to desired thickness.
- Brush crust with olive oil, sprinkle garlic coves and spread onions evenly over the dough; sprinkle on walnuts (if desired) and top with crumbled cheese.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until done.