Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Cooking this with onions until they caramelize, enhances the onion flavor and gives it a golden color. It is really very good! Originally this was on Land O' Lakes web site but I have had fun with it and it now tastes better! Not listed is the refrigeration time of 2 hours.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely chopped onions
- 2 (8 ounce) packages chive & onion cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2⁄3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2⁄3 cup finely chopped pecans or 2⁄3 cup walnuts
- water crackers (recipe #22633) or rye cocktail bread (recipe #22633) or pumpernickel cocktail bread (recipe #22633) or toasted pita bread, wedges (Crummy Mushrooms)
- Melt butter in 8-inch skillet till sizzling.
- Cook onions over med-heat, stirring occasionally, until golden brown about 10 to 14 minutes.
- Set aside and cool completely.
- Stir cream cheese in medium size bowl, until the cream cheese is smooth.
- Add onions, both Cheddar cheese's, black pepper & cayenne pepper, and fresh parsley.
- Spoon cheese mixture into 10-inch logs.
- In a small bowl combine parsley and nuts.
- Then roll 10-inch logs in the mixture & coat well.
- Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate at least 2 hours.