Recipe by * Pamela *
From the Winnipeg Free Press Wednesday Food Section. I made these for a Christmas party and they were gone in no time!
Top Review by aplaceinthesun80_4934202
I made these as an appetizer for a Christmas gathering and they were gone in no time! Incredibly good! I could not find mini tart shells and didn't have the time to make my own, so I used pastry shells and they worked great. Additionally, I have made the caramelized onions and simply topped a wheel of brie with them prior to putting the brie in the oven. To the original recipe, I have added about a tablespoon of honey for an extra kick.
- 24 pre baked miniature tart shells, bought or your own favourite recipe.
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 200 g brie cheese, sliced into slivers without the rind.
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in deep skillet on medium heat.
- Add onions and cook until transparent.
- Add brown sugar and vinegar and cook covered for 15 minutes over low heat until onions are caramelized.
- Season with salt and pepper as desired and cook on low until all moisture is evaporated.
- Cool slightly and spoon approx.
- 1 tablespoon into pre baked shells and top with a sliver of Brie cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until the cheese melts.
- Serve warm.