Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
A quick beer bread. Delicious with soups and stews.
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 354.88 ml onions, diced
- 14.79 ml sugar
- 709.77 ml flour
- 29.58 ml sugar
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml salt
- 236.59 ml asiago cheese, grated
- 340.19 g bottle beer
- cooking spray
- 29.58 ml butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and 1 T sugar, and sauté 15 minutes or until tender and caramelized. Cool to room temperature.
- Combine flour, 2 T sugar, baking powder, and salt in a bowl; make a well in center of mixture.
- Add onion, cheese, and beer; stir just until moist.
- Spoon batter into a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray; drizzle evenly with butter.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 5 minutes in pan on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.
This bread is absolutely delicious. The only reason I did not give it five stars is because there is no info about how to carmelize onions - and some beginners may not be familiar with that process! The onions need to be cooked at medium-high heat for ten minutes before reducing heat to medium. Continue to cook the onions for another 15-20 minutes until they are brown, sticky and delicious... Add them to this wonderful and easy bread recipe and enjoy!
Fabulous! Easy to make and yummy. Made as directed and have shared the recipe with several friends already!
These were really good. Love the sweet onions.