Recipe by ms.susan
The trick to caramelizing mushrooms is to cook them at a very high heat. These mix beautifully with caramelized onions but need to be cooked seperately.
Top Review by VLizzle
I LOVE this recipe! It was the perfect blend of ingredients for me. I used Portobello mushrooms and I omitted the cracked pepper - just a personal preference. Other than that I followed the recipe to a "T". I will be making this again and again.
- 1 lb raw mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- cracked black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. Heat butter and oil in a heavy stainless steel or cast iron pot or skillet.
- 2. add mushrooms and stir every minute to allow mushrooms to brown and begin to caramelize. (Approx 3 to 4 mins).
- 3. Sprinkle with brown sugar and stir. Continue to cook for approximately 4 minutes.
- 4. When they are nice and brown add vinegar.
- 5 Cook for another minute or two to allow the vinegar to evaporate.
- 6. Season with cracked black pepper and ENJOY!