Recipe by gailanng
This recipe is widely used by grilled-food vendors in Vietnam. The marinade’s sweet lemony flavor greatly enhances the taste of grilled food. Try it with pork (chops, ribs) chicken, beef and lamb. Recipe by Alex Skaria, The Asian Barbecue Book: From Teriyaki to Tandoori.
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons water, divided
- 1 lemongrass, stalk outer tougher leaves removed and lower two-thirds finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the sugar and 2 tablespoons of the water in a small saucepan over medium heat and simmer until the sugar starts to caramelize (the liquid will turn a slight yellowish color). At this point insert a metal teaspoon into the liquid and remove to let cool. The liquid on the spoon should become sticky and slightly yellow.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of water and the rest of the ingredients and remove from the heat. Let the marinade cool before applying it to the meat.