Recipe by ChrisMc
This is a recipe I came across in a cookbook I had had for some time, and finally decided to make. It was made very clear to me that this was a recipe which I had better make again, as it went over VERY well. This also works with pieces of a whole chicken, but the thighs are just the right size and shape to work well. Prep time includes marinating time (in a pinch you can marinate for about 15 minutes and go).
Top Review by ChrisMc
I made it again and checked my amounts carefully. The mistake I made when posting the recipe was in step 9. I overstated the amount of water to add. It should actually be about 1/4 inch - just barely enough to cover the bottom of the pan. That keeps the chicken tender. As the water simmers off, the chicken will carmelize. That should help with what Jan S noted (watery, didn't caramelize well). Thanks for noticing that, Jan S - I have sent in a correction, so step 9 will be amended soon.
- 4 -6 chicken thighs
- 2 stalks lemongrass
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove skins and extra fat from chicken.
- Remove the outer leaves from the lemongrass, cut into 1 inch pieces, and pound until somewhat flattened with a meat tenderizer.
- Crush garlic and blend with lemongrass, fish sauce, sugar, and pepper.
- Add chicken and toss to coat well; marinate 3-4 hours.
- If needed, you can marinate for 15 minutes and cook- the flavor will be less intense, but it will still work if you're in a hurry.
- Remove chicken from marinade (but save the marinade).
- Heat oil in a pan with a tight-fitting lid.
- Brown the chicken in the oil (~10minutes).
- Pour the remaining marinade into the pan, and add enough water to just cover the bottom of the pan (there should be 1/4 inch or less of liquid - it needs to simmer off, or else the chicken won't caramelize).
- Bring the liquid to a boil, then cover tightly and simmer until the chicken is tender, turning occassionally (about 30 minutes).
- Stir lemon juice into sauce, and stir to coat chicken.
- Serve hot.