Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe is a great way to showcase leeks, one of my favorite veggies.
- 2 medium leeks
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 5 ounces egg noodles
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- salt and black pepper
- Split the leeks lengthways and wash each layer thoroughly.
- Slice across into thin strips, including the green part as well.
- Heat the oil and butter together over a gentle heat.
- When the butter has melted, add the leeks and toss well.
- Cook slowly, uncovered, for about 10 minutes or until the leeks start to soften.
- Sprinkle the sugar over all and, after a couple more minutes, mix well.
- Continue to cook for 15 to 30 minutes, until the leeks have begun to collapse into a sticky mass.
- Add small amounts of hot water if required to stop sticking.
- While the leeks are cooking, cook and drain the noodles.
- When the leeks are done, add the parsley, olive oil, cooked noodles and seasoning to taste.
- Toss well and serve.
We made this with whole wheat noodles and the adults in the house loved it! My 7 year old also though it was good and cleared his plate, but requested that next time it has some cheese on it.
I don't think you could overdo the leeks in this recipe - the more the better. It's delicious. If your leeks cook up as mine did, I suggest you cut the leeks lengthwise and then crosswise in 1" long pieces. That will make it easier to get the leeks to adhere to the pasta and actually onto your fork. Small pieces are very awkward. For whatever reason they never turned into a "sticky mass". Really enjoyed this, Mercy.
This was very good! This was my first time cooking and eating leeks. I used cilantro instead of parsley, because I accidentally bought cilantro instead of parsley, but it was very good with cilantro.