Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
I found this recipe in Peter Reinhart's book American Pie. Put the garlic on top of a pizza (try #186393) for a special treat or freeze/refrigerate it to use in other recipes. Save the oil for salads and sauces.
- Arrange the garlic cloves in a frying pan large enough to accomodate them in a single layer.
- Pour in the olive oil to cover the cloves, about 1 inch of oil.
- Place over medium heat and cook for 10 to 15 minute Stir from time to time.
- Garlic is done when it turns a beautiful golden brown.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Using a slotted spoon, place the cloves in a bowl to cool. Return any oil that collects at the bottom to the frying pan.
- Once the garlic and oil have cooled, package the cloves in snack size freezer bags of 20 to 25 cloves.
- Freeze any bags that won't be used in 3 days.
- Transfer the garlic oil to a plastic container, cover and refrigerate. It will keep for several months.
- Makes 150 cloves and 1 cup oil.
- NOTE: You can make a smaller batch by simply adding the desired garlic to a frying pan and covering it with 1 inch oil.
This was very good. I made this recipe a couple of days ago and used it last night with some cooked rotini noodles.... just lightly tossed together. It was a nice garlic flavor, but not too much. Thank you for the great recipe!