I found this recipe in Peter Reinhart's book American Pie. Put the garlic on top of a pizza (try #186393) for a special treat or freeze/refrigerate it to use in other recipes. Save the oil for salads and sauces.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Arrange the garlic cloves in a frying pan large enough to accomodate them in a single layer.
- 2Pour in the olive oil to cover the cloves, about 1 inch of oil.
- 3Place over medium heat and cook for 10 to 15 minute Stir from time to time.
- 4Garlic is done when it turns a beautiful golden brown.
- 5Remove the pan from the heat.
- 6Using a slotted spoon, place the cloves in a bowl to cool. Return any oil that collects at the bottom to the frying pan.
- 7Once the garlic and oil have cooled, package the cloves in snack size freezer bags of 20 to 25 cloves.
- 8Freeze any bags that won't be used in 3 days.
- 9Transfer the garlic oil to a plastic container, cover and refrigerate. It will keep for several months.
- 10Makes 150 cloves and 1 cup oil.
- 11NOTE: You can make a smaller batch by simply adding the desired garlic to a frying pan and covering it with 1 inch oil.
Browse Our Top Herb and Spice Mixes Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Herb and Spice Mixes Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caramelized Garlic and Garlic Oil
Serving Size: 1 (924 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 25.0
- Calories from Fat 19
- Total Fat 2.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 0.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 0.2 g