Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Delish! From my local paper
Make and share this Caramelized French Toast with Vanilla Pears - OH MY! recipe from Food.com.
- 4 tablespoons butter (separated)
- 3 large ripe bartlett pears, peeled,cored and sliced
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla (separated)
- 2 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 slices challah (or other sweet egg bread sliced thick like challah)
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- Melt 2 tbls of the butter in a skillet.
- Add pears, 1/4 cup of brown sugar and 1/2 tsp of the vanilla.
- Simmer until tender, about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and transfer the pears onto a plate.
- Let them stand a couple minutes to drain, then pour into juices back into the skillet.
- Using medium-high heat, cook the juices another 4-5 minutes (don't stop stirring!) until they are thick and caramelized.
- Remove from heat.
- Beat eggs, half-and-half, sugar, 1 tsp vanilla and cinnamon in a shallow pan.
- Add the bread slices and let them soak for 2 minutes.
- Then turn the slices over and let them soak another 2 minutes.
- Melt 2 tbls butter in large skillet.
- Sprinkle 1/2 tbls of brown sugar on each side of the bread.
- Cook over medium high heat about 2-3 minutes per side until crisp.
- Place the bread on plates and top with a couple pears, the carmel sauce and some vanilla ice cream if desired.