1 hr 10 mins
Cooked endive has a more mellow flavour and a melting texture - perfect for this tarte Tatin to contrast the crispy puff pastry.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 400°F On a floured surface, roll out the pastry a little, then trim into a rough 10in circle (use a dinner plate as a guide). Prick all over with a fork, then chill on a plate. Discard the trimmings.
- 2Melt half the butter in a 9in heavy-based ovenproof frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and gently fry for 10 minutes until soft and lightly browned. Set aside.
- 3Heat the remaining butter in the frying pan, then sprinkle the sugar into the pan in an even layer. Cook over a low heat, but do not stir, until the sugar has melted. Increase the heat and cook until caramelized.
- 4Remove the pan from the heat, scatter the thyme over the caramel, then top with the endive halves, as many as you can fit in a single layer, cut-side down. Season well, scatter with the cheese, then spoon over the onions.
- 5Drape the pastry over the pan and tuck the edges in around the filling. Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden and risen. Remove from the oven and cool in the pan for a few minutes before turning out onto a platter. Sprinkle with a little more cheese just before serving.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caramelized Endive and Onion Tarte Tatin
Serving Size: 1 (674 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 616.7
- Calories from Fat 359
- Total Fat 39.9 g
- Saturated Fat 16.4 g
- Cholesterol 40.2 mg
- Sodium 343.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 17.1 g
- Sugars 10.1 g
- Protein 15.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: