1/1 Photo of Caramelized Creme Brulee
1 hr 30 mins
Evelyn L Jepson's Note:
A recipe from the Chef Michael Smith recipe files. Crunchy topping, velvety smooth pudding. Tends to be a bit rich, and sweet. The reason for using the baking torch is that you want the pudding to still be cold when you serve it. The torch only carmelizes, it doesn't heat up the whole pudding as putting it back under the broiler, will.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Make the butterscotch, first.
- 2Put 1 cup sugar in saucepan, pour 1/4 cup water around sugar, put on stove, do not stir. Leave on stove, but watch, you will see the water boil away, leaving a clear thick substance. Let the substance(sugar), boil hard for 5 minutes. Then stir the sugar, till it turns a golden brown, and remove from heat.
- 3Stir in the cold milk, and whipping cream, vanilla extract and salt. The butterscotch will instantly harden.
- 4Put back on heat and reheat until the butterscotch softens and whisk till it incorporates with the milk.
- 5Let cool slightly.
- 6Start up your mixer, with the whisk attachment on medium speed. Slowly, pour in the milk mixture into the eggs, so they don't curdle. Do this until all the milk is in the eggs. Then put on a higher speed for 2 minutes.
- 7Strain, pudding through a strainer, into a clean bowl.
- 8Pour into 5-4 ounce timbals, 3/4 of the way up the bowl.
- 9Place the pudding cups in a tray, with sides, as you will be pouring water in around the bowls, about 1/2 way up the bowls.
- 10Bake in oven, preheated to 325F, for 30 minutes.
- 11Pudding should be set at sides, but jiggly in centre.
- 12Remove from bath, cool slightly, then put in fridge, to set.
- 13Just before serving, remove pudding from fridge.
- 14Spread 1 tbsp per pudding, evenly on top of pudding.
- 15Use baking torch, and caramelize topping.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caramelized Creme Brulee
Serving Size: 1 (239 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 526.3
- Calories from Fat 249
- Total Fat 27.6 g
- Saturated Fat 15.5 g
- Cholesterol 380.9 mg
- Sodium 136.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 55.5 g
- Protein 8.0 g