Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Ooooh! Flan! With a carmelized crust....and a hint of coffee flavor...luscious! Only make when you have company, so you don't make a pig of yourself!! It's important to use a nice heavy saucepan to carmelize the sugar so it doesn't scorch or burn. Prep time does not include the 8 hour chill time!
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- Place the sugar in a small heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the sugar crystallizes into lumps (about 15 minutes). Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until the sugar melts and turns a light golden brown (about 15 minutes). Quickly pour the hot caramel mixture into an ungreased 8 inch round cakepan, tilting to coat the bottom evenly. Set aside. (The mixture will harden -- this is supposed to happen!).
- Combine eggs and remaining ingredients in a large bowl; beat with a wire whisk until the coffee granules dissolve. Pour the egg mixture over the caramelized sugar in the cakepan.
- Place the cakepan in a large shallow baking dish. Pour hot water into the baking dish to a depth of 1 inch. Cover with aluminum foil, and bake at 350 degrees for 55 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center of the flan comes out clean.
- Remove pan from water, and let cool. Cover and chill at least 8 hours.
- To serve, loosen the edge of the custard with a spatula, and invert onto a serving plate.
Wow, so good! I will be making this again, wow!
So irresistible! If I keep gaining weight, soon I will be pantless. made for Everyday Is A Holiday.
Fabulous flan! The touch of coffee is perfect in this. I did most of the mixing with my KA mixer and the whipping beater, but the coffee granules took longer than expected to dissolve, so I hand-whisked it a bit before pouring it into the pan. Definitely a keeper, thanks for posting! Made for Sweet December Tag 2014