Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Gone are the days of the traditional “coffee clutch”. Instead, many of us come together at work, clubs, school, auxiliaries, church, or wherever people congregate these days – To chat, to laugh, to learn, and to share. I have the good fortune to work with a wonderful group of ladies at an elementary school in Nevada’s Carson Valley. When we aren’t discussing daily tasks and deadlines associated with our jobs at GES, we are enjoying each other’s company by way of telling a joke or two, catching up on the events in each other’s lives and my personal favorite, bringing “a dish to pass” during our lunch break. Our informal potlucks have been great opportunities to share a recipe, show-off a family favorite dish, and enjoy good food with friends. Below is a coworker’s (Jennifer H.) recipe for a family favorite “cooked up” by her dad, “Caramelized Chicken with Craisins”. I recently made this dish for my family and the result was wonderfully delicious. This is definitely a keeper in my recipe library! Why not bring this new, delicious idea to your family’s dinner table … Enjoy!
- 3 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate (THAWED)
- 1⁄2 cup craisins
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 garlic clove (MINCED)
- 4 chicken breast halves (BONELESS, SKINNED)
- kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- 1 small onion (CHOPPED)
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds (TOASTED)
- 2 tablespoons green onions (CHOPPED)
- In a baking dish or a food storage bag, combine the first 5 ingredients.
- Wash and pat dry the chicken; sprinkle lightly with salt.
- Add chicken to marinade; seal and refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour.
- When done marinating, remove chicken - set aside.
- Reserve marinade/craisins.
- Over medium-high heat, cook brown sugar and sesame oil in a wide non-stick skillet.
- Stir continually for about 4 minutes.
- Add chicken and cook 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
- Add marinade/craisins reserve and onion to chicken.
- Continue to stir as chicken cooks (approximately 10 minutes).
- Once cooked, remove chicken to warmed serving platter.
- Let stand about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle chicken with sesame seeds and green onions.
- White rice and a simple green salad make this tasty dish complete. ENJOY!