Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Someday I'm going to stop eating dairy products. But today I stumbled across this recipe and couldn't stop myself from drooling. We all know that those little bits of melted cheese that ooze out and burn on the side are one of the best parts of a grilled cheese sandwich so why not take it one step further and purposely coat the the grilled cheese sandwich with cheese to caramelize on? Ooey gooey goodness. I'm just sayin'......from Closet Cooking.
- 1 tablespoon butter, room temperature
- 2 slices bread, day old (preferably a good whole grain bread)
- 6 ounces cheese, grated, room temperature (or shredded-I like cheddar)
- Heat a skillet on medium heat.
- Completely butter one side of each slice of bread.
- Place one slice of bread in the pan, buttered side down, sprinkle on half of the cheese and top with the remaining slice of bread, buttered side up.
- Turn the heat down a notch and cook until golden brown, about 2-4 minutes.
- Flip and cook until golden brown on the other side, about 2-4 minutes.
- Sprinkle half of the remaining cheese on an unoccupied section of the pan, place the grilled cheese on top and cook until the cheese has melted and caramelized, about 2-4 minutes.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on an unoccupied section of the pan, flip the grilled cheese on top and cook until the cheese has melted and caramelized, about 2-4 minutes.
First, I have to say that I have absolutely NO intention of giving up dairy! These are okay, but I can't honestly say that I like them better than ordinary grilled cheese. Then again, I never met a grilled cheese sandwich I didn't like. Thanks for posting!
I was really worried about the cheese sticking, but it didn't! This is an AWESOME idea for a sandwich, and it was pretty good. Like Chocolatl, I can't say I like it better than a regular grilled cheese, but it was a nice change. Thanks!