1/1 Photo of Caramelized Cardamom Apples With Pistachio Cream
pattikay in L.A.'s Note:
This is from Madhur Jaffrey's Quick and Easy Indian Cooking. This dessert has nice textures and flavors, but as written, is not particularly sweet. You could try adding some sugar to the whipped cream topping if you like it sweeter.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Whip the cream lightly in a bowl till it just holds its shape, but is not stiff at all.
- 2Fold half of the pistachio nuts into the cream, cover and refrigerate.
- 3Melt the butter over low heat in a large nonstick skillet. Take the pan off the heat.
- 4Peel, core and slice the apples thinly, dropping the slices into the butter as you cut them.
- 5Fold them into the butter as you go so that they do not discolor. (If you like, you could keep the pan over very low heat as you do this.).
- 6Add the cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, sugar, almonds and walnuts.
- 7Cook on medium heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring gently as you do so.
- 8Turn the heat to high; cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring very gently now and then, till apples have caramelized lightly.
- 9Serve on individual plates with a dollop of cream partially on, partially off the apples.
- 10Sprinkle remaining pistachios over the cream.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caramelized Cardamom Apples With Pistachio Cream
Serving Size: 1 (317 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 717.7
- Calories from Fat 476
- Total Fat 52.9 g
- Saturated Fat 29.0 g
- Cholesterol 142.5 mg
- Sodium 29.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 52.9 g
- Protein 4.7 g