Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a really simple recipe I came up with last night during a cabbage crisis! Absolutely delicious, even my husband who thinks he hates cabbage enjoyed this!
- Heat lidded skillet over a medium heat and add butter.
- Saute the onion and bacon in the butter until bacon begins to render fat and onion is just translucent.
- Add sliced cabbage.
- Place lid on skillet to allow cabbage to soften.
- Cook 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Turn heat up to high and stir fry for a few minutes.
- The cabbage should begin to colour and caramelize with the onions.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately.
- Can be mashed into plain mashed potatoes for a unique champ or "bubble and squeak" if re-fried.
I have been making cabbage like this for years. Sometimes I add bacon, sometimes not. It is one of my favorite ways to cook cabbage! I do save my bacon grease, so when you I am in a pinch and out of bacon, I can use that. Thanks for posting HumbleHousewife
I found this on here about a month ago and just joined so I could review it. It's absolutely superb and can be reheated so well. I've been using it as a side in my restaurant, as well as offering a kicked up version, with rings of fresh red chili. So simple, but so good. Thank you.