Recipe by Studentchef
From the Voluptuous Vegan. Sounds delicious. I'll probably be trying this real soon, so I'll have an update for anyone who's interested. A 1/4 pound of bruseel sprouts is considered to be 20 small or 10 large. The cookbook gives you a choice with the pearl onions that I could not include in the list of ingredients, and that is you could use red pearl onions.
Top Review by Wendy's Kitchen
We enjoyed this but I changed it and thought I would describe what I did. I just sliced onions, topped/tailed brussel sprouts, mixed up the water, maple syrup and mustard and poured this over everything. I then put into an oven dish and roasted for approx 30 minutes. It was delicious and a lot less work as I had run out of time.
- 1⁄4 cup pecan halves
- 1⁄4 lb Brussels sprout
- 2 ounces white pearl onions, tip and root ends cut off
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Arrange the pecan halves on a baking sheet and toast for 7 minutes or until lightly golden. Let cool.
- Remove the outer leaves of the brussel sprouts and trim the stems. If any of them are large cut in half.
- Bring a small saucepan of water to boil. Blanch the onions for one minute, and then drain and peel the outer layer of skin from each onion.
- In a small bowl combine the water, maple syrup and mustard and whisk.
- Heat a medium sized skillet before adding snything first; then add the oil, onions, and brussel sprouts and saute for a few minutes or until the sprouts begin to brown.
- Add the syrup mixture to the skillet, reduce the heat to low and cover the pan. Cook until the sprouts are tender and the liquid has turned to a glaze, which should take 10-12 minutes.
- Stir in the pecans, add the salt and pepper and serve while hot.