Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Found this in Food & Wine Magazine, 10/07 edition. It is fast, healthy, vegetarian, and delicious! I enjoyed preparing it, as well as eating it! The broccoli is slowly caramelized to bring out its sweetness, then enlivened with a squeeze of lemon, a pinch of crushed red pepper and some toasted cashews :) .Update: 11/07/2008 it has been suggested by a few who have reviewed the recipe that they would increase the amount of garlic, so maybe it would make for a nice change!! ;)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄4 lbs broccoli, stems peeled and heads halved lengthwise
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced (use more those of you that want a lot of garlic)
- 2 pinches crushed red pepper flakes
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (not the bottled kind)
- toasted cashews, chopped
- In a large, deep skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil.
- Add the broccoli, cut side down, cover and cook over moderate heat until richly browned on the bottom, about 8 minutes.
- Add the water, cover and cook until the broccoli is just tender and the water has evaporated, about 7 minutes.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil along with the garlic and the crushed red pepper and cook uncovered until the garlic is golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- Season the broccoli with salt and black pepper, drizzle with the lemon juice, toasted cashews and serve.
A unique way of cooking this. I will increase the garlic next time. It was yummy and I will make it again.
Probably the best way I've ever had broccoli. This was super tasty and highly recommended! I loved the addition of the cashews and I loved the carmelization process. I doubled the garlic but followed the rest of the recipe as stated. LOVED it! Even my picky kids managed to eat some of this. Wonderful! Thank you for sharing!
This was so good! Have to admit I was a bit hesitant about doing broccoli this way, but a person must move out of the pot sometimes. LoL! I left out the pepper flakes, as I don't do heat very well. Simple ingredients with maximum flavor. :)