Recipe by NcMysteryShopper
The broccoli is slowly caramelized to bring out its sweetness, then enlivened with a squeeze of lemon and a pinch of crushed red pepper.... Fast, healthy, vegetarian and totally delicious!! Even broccoli haters will enjoy this dish!
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 heads broccoli, stems peeled and heads halved lengthwise (1 1/4 pounds total)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 dash vermouth
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat two tablespoons of olive oil in a big, deep skillet.
- Add broccoli, cut side down, cover and cook over moderate heat for about 8 minutes (you want a nice rich brown color.).
- Add water and a splash of vermouth, cover and cook for about 7 minutes, until the broccoli is JUST tender and the water has evaporated.
- Add the remaining Tablespoon of olive oil, garlic and crushed red pepper. Continue cooking uncovered until the garlic is golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- Season broccoli with salt and black pepper to taste and drizzle with lemon juice and serve.