Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
The first time I successfully raised Leeks in my garden, I wondered what to do. I came across a recipe for braised leeks, but added a special touch by caramelizing them. They are SOOOOO yummy and easy to make!
- 4 lbs leeks, trimmed, washed, and quartered lengthwise, chopped into about 2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar (raw granulated sugar)
- In a medium skillet with a lid, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the leeks and the chicken broth; Note that the leeks will reduce tremendously! You'll think you have enough to serve an army, but will ending up finishing them up with just a few hungry people!
- Cover and braise, stirring occasionally, for 8-12 minutes or until leeks are tender.
- Remove the lid, and cook for about 10 minutes, or until the broth has almost evaporated.
- Increase heat to medium high and sprinkle the sugar over the leeks. If you don't have turbinado sugar, you can use regular granulated sugar, but the flavor will be slightly reduced.
- Cook, stirring frequently, for another 5-10 minutes or until the leeks are lightly caramelized.
- Serve immediately.