Caramelized Bananas With Rum Sauce
- Melt butter in a 10-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until foam subsides, then sauté banana, cut sides down, shaking skillet, 1 minute.
- Remove skillet from heat (away from flame) and sprinkle brown sugar around banana, then pour rum around banana.
- Return skillet to heat and continue to sauté, shaking skillet occasionally, until sugar begins to melt, about 30 seconds.
- Add water, nutmeg, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt and cook over moderate heat, shaking skillet occasionally, until sauce is slightly thickened, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Serve bananas hot, sprinkled with nuts, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream as an accompaniment.