1/2 Photos of Caramelized Bananas
J. Bradshaw Sr.'s Note:
This snack or dessert is quick and easy and sure to woo any company or please any crowd and just make your mouth water on a night snuggled up watching t.v. It is an African dish that I learned in the 7th. grade and was a hit when I served it several years ago in my fathers restaurant. I like it because of the taste you get from such a quick prep time and cook time, also the presentation can be beautiful! So if you love caramel and bananas with whip topping then try it out. One thing I do advise is this... I take my bananas and butter each slice individually, after melting the butter and before starting to fry I use a brush and make sure and coat front and back very well and while cooking I add a bit more, you can judge when cooking but I like mine to be a bit more buttery so you can adjust to taste. I also use 2 bananas per person as it is very filling and rich. This recipe is very flexible as to fit your palate, I do hope you enjoy! :-)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Peel all bananas and after doing so split down the middle and then cut in half, optional to cut in half but you do need to split, it is easier on me to quarter them and makes a good presentation.
- 2Place cut bananas aside and melt 1 stick of butter, set the other stick aside in case you need more when cooking, if you use a lot when dredging the bananas then you will need to melt before starting to fry.
- 3Once butter is melted start warming your skillet on medium high, watch closely as you will only want to slightly brown when cooking so it wont take long.
- 4While skillet is heating up please take your bananas and start buttering both sides of each slice very well. I use a brush to do so or you can dredge them through the butter if you wish but please keep in mind doing so will soak up more butter so please be careful if you do not wish them buttery.
- 5After all slices are done add butter in the skillet (enough to coat the bottom well).
- 6Then start placing slices in the skillet, when you have a skillet full take brown sugar and start adding, no measurement is needed as you just cover them.
- 7After you coat a side with brown sugar on the first coat flip them over and coat the next side and let them sit for about one minute.
- 8After the minute is up flip and coat again as doing so add brown sugar in the pan and let it cook along with the rest, it does not have to be a lot but I judge it by the way people like caramel, so please just try a little at first as this is very rich.
- 9When bananas are golden and slightly brown down the center they are done.
- 10Remove from skillet and place on plate.
- 11Add whip cream to top and serve hot :-).
- 12Then repeat until you finish.
- 13Also try other fruits with it, I top mine with cold strawberries from time to time.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caramelized Bananas
Serving Size: 1 (182 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 865.2
- Calories from Fat 438
- Total Fat 48.7 g
- Saturated Fat 30.8 g
- Cholesterol 131.1 mg
- Sodium 386.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 111.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 110.1 g
- Protein 0.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: