Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Dining alone this evening? Why not treat yourself to a fantastic ending to you meal?
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1 banana, halved lengthwise,then crosswise
- 2 teaspoons packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons rum (preferably dark)
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1⁄8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons sliced nuts or 2 tablespoons chopped nuts, toasted
- vanilla ice cream
- Melt butter in a 10" heavy skillet over moderately high heat until foam subsides, then saute banana, cut sides down, shaking skillet, 1 minute.
- Remove skillet from heat (away from flame) and sprinkle brown sugar around banana.
- Return skillet to heat and continue to saute, shaking skillet occasionally, until sugar begins to melt, about 30 seconds.
- Add water, nutmeg, cinnamon, rum and a pinch of salt and cook over moderate heat, shaking skillet occasionally, until sauce is slightly thickened, 1-2 minutes.
- Serve banana hot, sprinkled with nuts.
This is A-W-E-S-O-M-E! Can you see three girls doing the happy dance with stars floating in their head?!?. LOL. That's right - 2 of my college friends', Priti and Priya(twin sisters') and me:) I made this this afternoon to give as a food gift to them. I tasted a little before packing this amazing stuff into an empty honey bottle:) This tastes sooooooooooooo good, serve this warm over chilled vanilla ice-cream and your in food heaven! I packed a layer of ice-cream followed by a layer of this sauce and then again a layer of ice-cream and I went on until the bottle was filled! This is soooooo good, Auntie Bev!!!! I'm going to treat my dad to this once he returns home tomorrow from India. Thanks thanks and more thanks for such a nice dessert! Please note: I added rum in step 4 (its not mentioned in the recipe when to add it) and I didnt have nutmeg on hand, so, I used a little more cinnamon instead. For the nuts, I used walnuts(toasted) and they taste amazing in this recipe;)
A-W-E-S-O-M-E is so right for this sauce. DH and I were simply in heaven with this, had it over Vanilla Icream, What a treat. Have to make it for company soon. I used toasted pecans, also added the Rum in step 4. Thank you so much for the recipe.
Very good! We loved this, served over french toast that had a dash of cinnamon in the egg mixture. Very tasty with a dollop of Whipped cream on top.