Recipe by PaulaG
What a wonderful and quick finish to any meal. Warm caramelized bananas spooned over melting vanilla ice cream or vanilla frozen yogurt, drizzled with hot chocolate sauce and sprinkled with toasted walnuts. Top it off with a maraschino cherry and you are all set. Note: If you don't have Kahlua you use the sub listed in the Kitchen Dictionary: 1/2 - 1 tsp chocolate extract + 1/2 - 1 tsp instant coffee dissolved in 2 tbsp water = 2 tbsp Kahlua.
- 1 1⁄2 firm bananas (Green tipped works best.)
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups vanilla frozen yogurt or 1 1⁄2 cups vanilla ice cream
- 1⁄8 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
- 4 maraschino cherries
- 1⁄4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄8 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Kahlua
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and slice the bananas into 1/4 inch diagonal slices. Place cut bananas in a shallow dish and toss with lemon juice.
- Melt the butter and brown sugar in a heavy skillet and cook on medium high heat for one minute or until butter is melted. Stir in the bananas tossing to coat. When bananas are nicely glazed remove from heat.
- Place the chocolate chips and half-and-half in a microwave safe measuring cup. Microwave for 20 seconds, stir and microwave again for 10 to 20 seconds if needed. Stir until smooth. Add cinnamon Kahlua or Kahlua substitute.
- Place a scoop of vanilla ice cream in an ice cream dish, top with the warm bananas spooning any of the brown sugar glaze over each individual serving. Drizzle with chocolate sauce and sprinkle with toasted chopped walnuts. Garnish each with a maraschino cherries.