What a wonderful and quick finish to any meal. Warm caramelized bananas spooned over melting vanilla ice cream or vanilla frozen yogurt, drizzled with hot chocolate sauce and sprinkled with toasted walnuts. Top it off with a maraschino cherry and you are all set. Note: If you don't have Kahlua you use the sub listed in the Kitchen Dictionary: 1/2 - 1 tsp chocolate extract + 1/2 - 1 tsp instant coffee dissolved in 2 tbsp water = 2 tbsp Kahlua.
- 1 1⁄2 firm bananas (Green tipped works best.)
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups vanilla frozen yogurt or 1 1⁄2 cups vanilla ice cream
- 1⁄8 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
- 4 maraschino cherries
- 1⁄4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄8 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Kahlua
- Peel and slice the bananas into 1/4 inch diagonal slices. Place cut bananas in a shallow dish and toss with lemon juice.
- Melt the butter and brown sugar in a heavy skillet and cook on medium high heat for one minute or until butter is melted. Stir in the bananas tossing to coat. When bananas are nicely glazed remove from heat.
- Place the chocolate chips and half-and-half in a microwave safe measuring cup. Microwave for 20 seconds, stir and microwave again for 10 to 20 seconds if needed. Stir until smooth. Add cinnamon Kahlua or Kahlua substitute.
- Place a scoop of vanilla ice cream in an ice cream dish, top with the warm bananas spooning any of the brown sugar glaze over each individual serving. Drizzle with chocolate sauce and sprinkle with toasted chopped walnuts. Garnish each with a maraschino cherries.
Can't go wrong! Used pecans instead of walnuts and no cherries, but topped with some whipped cream YUM. Made for ZWT 9
YUM! I doubled the bananas, butter & brown sugar for the 4 of us. I don't think the step w/the lemon juice is necessary in this dish, but it didn't hurt the recipe any. I don't have any Kahlua but the sauce was still super delicious. We were all very happy! :) Thank you & good luck in the contest.
Yummy! We thoroughly enjoyed this great dessert. I had to use milk chocolate chips as that is what I had but I can imagine how much better (not that it wasn't already over the top) it would have been with the semi-sweet chips. I did the rest as written and the roomies licked the bowls clean.Thanks for coming up with such a great recipe and good luck in the contest.