I recently discovered this tantalizing and very simple dessert recipe in the Gourmet Every Day section of the November 2007 issue of Gourmet Magazine. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 firm-ripe bananas, sliced diagonally 1/2 inch thick
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces fine-quality bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped (no more than 60% cacao if marked)
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream (or you can use cinnamon ice cream)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted and cooled
- 1Melt butter in a 12 inch heavy skillet over medium heat, then add bananas in 1 layer and sprinkle with brown sugar.
- 2Increase heat to medium-high and cook bananas, gently turning once and shaking skillet occasionally, until sugar is caramelized, 3-4 minutes.
- 3Divide bananas among 4 dessert bowls, leaving any remaining caramel in skillet.
- 4Add cream to skillet and boil over medium heat, stirring, until caramel is dissolved.
- 5Add chocolate with a pinch of salt and whisk until melted.
- 6Top bananas with scoops of ice cream, then drizzle with some chocolate sauce, then sprinkle with nuts.
- 7(There will be extra sauce).
Browse Our Top Frozen Desserts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Frozen Desserts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caramelized Banana Splits With Hot Chocolate Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (295 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 703.2
- Calories from Fat 435
- Total Fat 48.3 g
- Saturated Fat 25.0 g
- Cholesterol 135.8 mg
- Sodium 92.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 52.8 g
- Protein 7.0 g