Recipe by Bev
I recently discovered this tantalizing and very simple dessert recipe in the Gourmet Every Day section of the November 2007 issue of Gourmet Magazine. Enjoy!
Top Review by Michelle_My_Belle
Excellent! I finally had all of the ingredients in the house. The sauce was to die for, and I kept the extra for ice cream another day. I think I prefer this all by it's self with ice cream on the side rather then under/over it, but good nonetheless!
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 firm-ripe bananas, sliced diagonally 1/2 inch thick
- 1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces fine-quality bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped (no more than 60% cacao if marked)
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream (or you can use cinnamon ice cream)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted and cooled
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a 12 inch heavy skillet over medium heat, then add bananas in 1 layer and sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Increase heat to medium-high and cook bananas, gently turning once and shaking skillet occasionally, until sugar is caramelized, 3-4 minutes.
- Divide bananas among 4 dessert bowls, leaving any remaining caramel in skillet.
- Add cream to skillet and boil over medium heat, stirring, until caramel is dissolved.
- Add chocolate with a pinch of salt and whisk until melted.
- Top bananas with scoops of ice cream, then drizzle with some chocolate sauce, then sprinkle with nuts.
- (There will be extra sauce).