Recipe by dicentra
From an apple website. I will probably not drain the yogurt when I make this, and just use a nice thick one (Tillamook is good).
- 4 baking apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups nonfat vanilla yogurt
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon walnuts, chopped and toasted (optional)
- 2 tablespoons water
Directions See How It's Made
- Line a colander or sieve with cheesecloth or a coffee filter and set it over a bowl. Spoon in yogurt and let drain for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium-sized heavy saucepan, stir together sugar and water. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Cook, without stirring, until the syrup turns deep amber, about 5 minutes. (Do not let the syrup burn.) Remove the pan from the heat, add butter and swirl the pan until the butter has melted.
- Add apples and lemon juice. Return to low heat, cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Uncover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until apples are tender and translucent and the juice has thickened slightly, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Let cool slightly, about 5 minutes.
- 3 Spoon alternating layers of the caramelized apples and drained yogurt into 4 parfait or wine glasses. Sprinkle walnuts over top, if desired.