Prep 5 mins
Cook 13 mins
Apples, chicken, onions.....WOW, this is a great combo, served with mashed potatoes and green beans.
- 4 (3 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter, divided
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 lb baking apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup apple juice or 1⁄4 cup apple cider
- 1⁄4 cup apple jelly
- In a shallow dish, combine flour, cinnamon, thyme and pepper.
- Coat both sides of chicken with flour mixture; shake off excess flour.
- Spray a non-stick skillet with no-stick cooking spray.
- Melt 1-1/2 teaspoons of butter in skillet over medium heat.
- Add chicken; brown 5 to 6 minutes on each side or until chicken is tender.
- Remove from skillet and keep warm.
- Melt remaining 1-1/2 teaspoons butter in skillet.
- Add onions; saute 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown.
- Stir in apples and juice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 4 to 5 minutes or until apples are tender.
- Add apple jelly; stir until melted.
- Add chicken back to skillet and heat through.
Made a small modification... My kids may die if they see an onion, so I skipped the onion and cooked some pecan chips with the apples instead. Very tasty.
Yum! I loved this - the flour mixture for the chicken was perfect, and I loved the baked apple/onion combo. It is sweet - I like sweet sides with my main dish. I make this exactly by the recipe. I even cut my chicken into a 3 oz piece which was a VERY small serving. I also pounded the chicken flat before cooking, which is my preference. One note is that you have to like baked apples to like this dish - similar to the ones served at places like Cracker Barrel. My husband didn't like this, but he just doesn't like baked apples.