Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Here a smoky version of Caramelized Onions. This can be easily doubled. Top a steak or mashed potatoes, salad, tacos......
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 texas sweet onions, sliced
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce (from the can of prepared chipotle peppers in adobo or make your own Chipotles En Adobo/ Chipotles Chili in Adobo Sauce)
- Heat the oil over medium high heat.
- Add onions and reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Cook slowly, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and caramelized, about 20 minutes.
- Add the salt and pepper to taste, sugar and adobo sauce stir well to combine.
We used a Peruvian sweet onion as well, and made your wonderful Chipotles En Adobo/ Chipotles Chili in Adobo Sauce. Both these recipes compliment eachother well. This has great heat and balances out perfectly with the sweetness of the onion. Thanks Rita, for another keeper!
I used Peruvian sweet onions, and ate it all in one sitting. Love the sweetness, and the heat! I used less adobo sauce, just loved this and next time will triple it! Thanks Rita!