Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
In the original recipe, these yummy onions were stuffed in a slit in a steak. I actually prefer them over the steak, or roast, or chicken, or lamb chop, or whatever. An Aussie tablespoon contains 4 teaspoons.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon rosemary
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup red currant jelly
- salt and pepper
- Heat oil and butter in a medium frying pan. Add onions and garlic, cook on a low heat for 10 minutes or until lightly coloured. Stir occasionally.
- Add the sugar, rosemary, vinegar and jelly. Cook a further 10 minutes until the onions are soft and the liquid has evaporated.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.
- Will keep a few days covered in the fridge.
I had some leftover reducrrant jelly in the fridge so made this to go over some crumbed cutlets. A lovely spin to a old favourite. Thanks Jan!
exceptional!!!Best I have ever made. Didnt have red currant jelly, did have a jar of apple and rosemary jelly. Served it over some nice, but plain fish cakes, absolutely made them sing :)