1/1 Photo of Caramelised Pineapple & Chilli Popcorn
1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
The Popcornist's Note:
Chilli adds a fiery kick to this Caribbean-inspired take on a classic salted caramel topping. This tropical topping evokes the heat of a Caribbean summer by combining fragrant sweet pineapple with fiery red chilli to take your taste buds on a sub-equatorial adventure.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1To make the pineapple syrup, pour the pineapple juice into a frying pan or wok (the wider the base, the better). Heat on a medium temperature, swirling the pan regularly to ensure that it doesn’t burn at the bottom.
- 2Do this until most of the liquid has evaporated and you’re left with about a tablespoon of intense pineapple syrup that has the consistency of honey. This might take up to an hour, so it’s worth starting early and perhaps pouring yourself a glass of wine.
- 3Pop the butter in a saucepan along with the sugar, salt and chilli. Heat on a low-medium temperature, stirring regularly to help the sugar to dissolve.
- 4Once the mixture has thickened to a consistency similar to lemon curd, reduce your stirring and bring it slowly to the boil until bubbles start to appear all over the surface.
- 5Once it starts bubbling, leave it to caramelise for 3 minutes without stirring. The colour will start to darken.
- 6While waiting for the caramel to cook, fill a tablespoon with the pineapple syrup, so that it is ready to add to the mixture. Make sure that your popcorn is also ready and waiting in a big bowl that has plenty of room for some vigorous stirring.
- 7After 3 minutes, take the caramel mixture off the heat and add the tablespoon of pineapple syrup to the frying pan, stirring it inches.
- 8Immediately pour the mixture over the popcorn, stirring quickly to ensure that the popcorn is evenly coated before the caramel cools and hardens.
- 9Put the popcorn on a baking tray and place it in the oven at 100°C for 30 minutes to evaporate off any remaining liquid and allow it to become deliciously crisp.
- 10Take the popcorn out of the oven and leave it to cool.
- 11Sit back and enjoy – perhaps paired with an elegant Sauternes while dreaming of azure seas, golden beaches and palm trees swaying gently in the breeze.
- 12From ThePopcornist.com.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caramelised Pineapple & Chilli Popcorn
Serving Size: 1 (238 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 551.2
- Calories from Fat 122
- Total Fat 13.6 g
- Saturated Fat 6.8 g
- Cholesterol 26.7 mg
- Sodium 681.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 101.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.8 g
- Sugars 39.2 g
- Protein 10.2 g